Chilled Salmon Salad with Orange Citrus Onions
Share this recipe with others: Tweet
Prep: 15 min. • Cook: 20 min. • Serves: 4
- 4 fresh salmon fillets (5 oz. each)*
- Salt and pepper
- ½ c. Biggins® red onion, finely chopped
- ½ c. dry white wine (or ¼ c. each lemon juice and water)
- 3 medium Biggins® yellow onions, sliced
- 3 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 tsp. orange peel, grated
- 1 tsp. lime peel, grated
- ¾ c. orange juice
- 5 oz. mixed dark leafy salad greens (about 4 c. loosely packed)
- Fresh dill sprigs or Italian parsley
Sprinkle salmon with salt and pepper. Portion red onion onto salmon fillets and press on evenly with back of spoon. Pour wine into 10-inch skillet and heat until bubbling at the edges. Set salmon in wine, return liquid to a gentle boil and cover. Let cook gently without turning for 6-7 minutes, or until salmon is cooked through and topping is rosy. Chill fish and liquid.
For Orange Citrus Onions: Heat oil in a large skillet, add yellow onions and cook over medium heat, stirring often, until golden. Remove from heat and mix in orange and lime peels and orange juice. Cover and chill.
To serve, portion lettuce onto 4 plates. Top with salmon fillets. Lift onions from liquid with slotted spoon or fork and top salmon. Spoon juice from onions over salmon and lettuce. Garnish with dill.
*If salmon fillets have skin on them, purchase 4 (6 oz.) fillets and pull off skin.
Recipe Courtesy of: National Onion Association